Sunday 20 September 2020

Finding and Fixing: next steps to work on with my target group

 


These three slides have been very helpful in reinforcing the good practice of being consistent and repetitive when working with students who are often appealing to the teacher to help find and fix errors.   At first I must admit that after only a few go's I'd decide it wasn't working.
Using these prompts repeatedly, especially those found in the first two frames has been important in returning the ownership of finding what the error is on the student. I have too easily and very often given hints/clues that have not made enough difference to have these particular students developing good strategies of their own.   I can see that repeating of prompts will have students soon if not already realise the area in which they are needed to improve.  Missing middle parts of words, endings, sense making etc.

I've found to stop and work on word families, starts - middles - ends of words needs to be the norm with this particular group of readers.  The sense of urgency I have due to these students being in their final years before college, I need to yes remember but NOT have it rush me through these fundamental strategies of finding and then fixing errors in the texts these students are reading.  

Just a reminder of my target group: 1 x year 8, 3 x year 7 reading at 9.5 year level.  Very soon we will be re-testing and hopefully reporting back a lift in levels and/or reading strategies.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea

    I know that this is an old post from last year, but it's now very useful to me as one of my target groups for reading are at this level. I like how you have explained some of the key things to look out for when using the reading strategies. I totally agree when you say that our students need to take ownership and be aware of where they need to fix or notice their errors, rather than the teacher doing it for me. Otherwise, they would never learn. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *the teacher doing it for them.

    ReplyDelete