Friday 9 September 2022

Filifili se tusi - pick a book!


  • What did I learn that increased my understanding of the kaupapa and pedagogy of the Manaiakalani Reading Programme ?

Looking again at our provisions for learners around the apps in Chrome. Do these follow through to being able to gauge any progress for our learners? Can our students understand what these show? In google docs etc there are features to support students to engage more with reading, take some time to see how they are working already in classrooms and how you might adapt to suit your learners and reading goals.

  • What did I learn that could improve my capability and confidence in teaching reading?

Take time to work through the different elements of a text set. Which is the base text? What different perspectives do I want the text set to cover? Text sets are great when they are multimodal! Think again around grouping of your learners. Move away from always having reading ages put together, what about their interests? In our provision for reading we can communicate clearly that we acknowledge them as individuals by way of text selection and grouping.

  • What did I learn that could be shared within my wider community, with either colleagues, or whānau/aiga?  This is for ME not a directive from sessions...but where sessions have landed my thinking re selecting text.

Take more notice of our learners attitude, what has influenced this? What mess
age have they received from years of schooling? Community? Homes? Social media? Stop and capture what our learners feel about reading, their interests, their influencers. Use this to start from to select texts that engage, excite my learners.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment